Output Teaches Creating Audio Plugins with C++ and JUCE
Jacob Penn is an electronic musician, sound designer, and audio developer at Output Inc. As a creative technologist, he helps start-ups solve tough technical decisions, manage agile projects, and develop production ready code. He is a core developer on Output’s flagship Arcade synthesizer, and as an electronic musician and sound designer, he has toured internationally, designed sounds for AAA VR games, and contributes to underground electronic music events in Los Angeles.
Jacob holds a degree in Music Technology from CalArts MTIID and now serves as an adjunct faculty member to the program. His work has been featured in XLR8R, The Verge, Game Spot, Music Radar, Create Digital Music and more. As a multifaceted artist and developer, he continues to learn and try new things, while always incorporating his love of audio.
Bruce Dawson is currently a software engineer for Output, Inc., based in Los Angeles, California. He received an interdisciplinary Masters of Fine Arts Degree from California Institute of the Arts in 2015 combining Computer Science and Music Theory with a focus on Computer-Aided Algorithmic Composition. Bruce graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with a focus on Information Security from DeVry University in 2011.
Bruce was the lead software engineer on Output's first endeavor into C++ Audio Plug-in's with, "MOVEMENT," and today is involved with Output's current direction in music technology applications. Additionally, his music project, "Synchronometry," focuses on the application of Computer-Aided Algorithmic Composition techniques within the context of electronic music production. Bruce's work has been featured on MusicRadar, MusicTech, Computer Music Awards, ProducerSpot, FactMag, SoundOnSound, and more.
Ever wanted to learn what goes into making creative music software? This Kadenze Academy Program, produced in partnership with leading audio software company Output, explores creative audio software development, and how to make your own audio plugins (VST/AudioUnit/AAX) ready for the studio and stage.
You’ll learn from Jacob Penn and Bruce Dawson - real software engineers who make innovative software and gear used by musicians, composers, producers and sound designers across all genres. Oh and they also make their own music as Mumukshu and Synchronometry, respectively.
Everything is taught in C++ and JUCE, the de facto language and framework used in nearly every major industry. Whether you’re interested writing audio software to launch a new career or for your own artistic practice, or you’re looking for an exciting way to learn object-oriented programming in C++, this Program will give you an inside look at how software is actually developed inside one of the industry’s leading plugin companies, and how to take your ideas from concept to finished product.
What students are saying:
" Thank you very much for everything! This is the first formal JUCE course I have ever seen and taking it cleared up many things. "
" Thanks so much for creating this course! It is one-of-a-kind and super helpful for those getting started with the JUCE framework and developing audio plugins. As a DSP Engineer with hopes of breaking into the plugin industry, being able to engage at this educational level with a company like Output is very valuable to me. "
- Fluency in the JUCE framework
- Understanding of audio plugin architecture
- Expertise in DSP and GUI programming in C++
- Session 1: Introduction to Audio Plugins & JUCE
- Session 2: Parameters, Components & Listeners
- Session 3: Delays, Circular Buffers & Interpolation
- Session 4: Chorus, Modulators & Statefulness
- Session 1: The Modular Approach to Digital Signal Processing
- Session 2: Structured User Interface Design
- Session 3: Designing Preset Management
- Session 4: Icing on the Cake: Advanced User Interface Skinning and Customization
- Explore and discuss current plugins on the market
- Create a graphical user Interface using the Projucer and Xcode
- Create a finished audio plugin with a UI design
C++, Music DAWs & Plugins
Integrated Development Environment (IDE) like Xcode, Visual Studio, or CodeBlocks
- A verified Specialist Certificate that prove you completed the Program and mastered the subject.*
- A verified course Certificate for each individual course you complete in the program.*
* Each certificate earned is endorsed by Kadenze and the offering institution(s).
* If financial constraints make the course unaffordable, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
ON SALE! That's
off the original price!
ON SALE! That's $325 off the original price!
Why join a Program?
Becoming a specialist in a subject requires a highly tuned learning experience connecting multiple related courses. Programs unlock exclusive content that helps you develop a deep understanding of your subject. From your first course to your final summative assessment, our thoughtfully curated curriculum enables you to demonstrate your newly acquired skills.