Money Matters for Creative Entrepreneurs
Elaine Grogan Luttrull, CPA is an Assistant Professor at the Columbus College of Art & Design where she serves as the Department Head for Business & Entrepreneurship. Additionally, she is the founder of Minerva Financial Arts, a company devoted to improving financial literacy in creative individuals through workshops, online learning, and coaching. Elaine previously served as the Director of Financial Analysis for The Juilliard School and in the Transaction Advisory Services practice of Ernst & Young in New York. Her presentations have been featured nationally by the DeVos Institute of Arts Management, Americans for the Arts, the Arts & Business Council of New York, the College Art Association, Playwrights of New York, the Lark Play Development Center, Theatre Communications Group, the Juilliard School, the New England Conservatory of Music, the Clark Hulings Fund, the Ohio Art League, the Ohio Arts Council, the Greater Columbus Arts Council, the City of Bloomington, and the Foundation Center. Elaine is the author of Arts & Numbers (Agate, B2 2013), and a regular contributor to Professional Artist magazine. She serves on the boards of the Center for Social Enterprise Development and the Short North Alliance.
Understanding the intersection between money management and creative fulfillment is paramount to building a sustainable creative career, and this course is designed to help students build and use financial tools to forge their own paths.
The first course covers goal setting, strategic planning for creative careers, and budgeting (because really, a budget is simply a way to quantify our goals). The second course is all about financial reporting and the metrics we manage to answer the question, “How are we really doing?” It is by refining these reporting systems and metrics that we figure out how to spend less time on the money part and more time on the creative part.
Lastly, the third course covers taxes. With particular emphasis on tax overview and deductions common to creative entrepreneurs, this third course is all about practical tax nuances you may not have learned… yet. It will also cover sales tax and record keeping, connecting such requirements to our overall financial systems.
By mastering these tools, you’ll be empowered to create financial systems, evaluate financial information, and manage your tax obligations… all in service of your creativity.
- Create financial systems based on financial literacy that connect budgeting and reporting to creative and professional goals
- Evaluate financial information to determine primary funding sources, major expense categories, tax reporting obligations, and overall connection to creative and professional goals
- Describe U.S. income and sales tax obligations for creative professionals
- Session 1: Building a Creative Portfolio Career
- Session 2: So You’ve Got this XLS…
- Session 3: Budgeting Basics
- Session 4: Budgeting Analysis
- Session 1: The Budget Becomes Real
- Session 2: Managing Cash Movement
- Session 3: Snapshot of Financial Health
- Session 4: Protecting What You Have
- Session 1: Tax Overview
- Session 2: Schedule C Overview
- Session 3: Sales Tax Obligations
- Session 4: Recordkeeping for Taxes
- A Functional Budget that Connects Finances to Creativity
- Practical Tools for Tracking Money that Matters
- Pro-Forma U.S. Tax Form
- Equipment: A computer with a database software system (XLS is preferred, but Numbers or another open-source system will work)
- An open mind
- A verified Specialist Certificate that prove you completed the Program and mastered the subject.*
- A verified course Certificate for each individual course you complete in the program.*
- 3.0 transferable academic college credit(s) (additional fees apply)
* Each certificate earned is endorsed by Kadenze and the offering institution(s).
Price: $300 USD *
Add college credit at checkout or later for just $900
Why join a Program?
Becoming a specialist in a subject requires a highly tuned learning experience connecting multiple related courses. Programs unlock exclusive content that helps you develop a deep understanding of your subject. From your first course to your final summative assessment, our thoughtfully curated curriculum enables you to demonstrate your newly acquired skills.