Introduction to Motion Design
Allen Harrison earned his BFA in Graphic Design from The University of Akron and his MFA in Graphic Design from Maryland Institute College of Art. With over 12 years of professional teaching experience, Allen joined Ringling College in 2008. His work has been the recipient of numerous ADDY, Print, Core 77, and Graphis Awards. His focus has been creating interactive experiences for brands such as: National Geographic, Oracle, Scion, STX Lacrosse, Sherwin Williams and many more. Allen also wrote, designed and produced Friction Magazine, a publication recognized for design and content by Print Magazine, the ADDY® Awards, Utne Reader, The Nation, Mother Jones, PBS, Yahoo.com’s “Daily Pick,” Clamor, Punk Planet, and various independent ’zines.
An introduction to time-based media and the use of time as an element of design. Emphasis will be placed on communication through animation, transformation and timing. This course will include a significant introduction to using industry-standard software Adobe After Effects and Adobe Photoshop to create time-based media.
- Utilize stop motion photography and digital imaging to create looping animations
- Design and animate a communicative motion graphic animation focusing on typography and the expressive use of color
- Light, shoot, and composite live action video with animated graphics to communicate design principles
- Session 1: Course Intro + Design Principles
- Session 2: Storyboarding your GIFs
- Session 3: Shoot your GIFs
- Session 4: Build Your GIFs
- Session 1: Introduction to Motion Design Principles
- Session 2: Adding Texture to Text
- Session 3: Timing and Transitions
- Session 4: Expressive Words
- Session 1: Title Sequences: History and Ideation
- Session 2: Visualizing a Storyboard
- Session 3: Animating Your Style Frames
- Session 4: Final Reel
- Create 3 looping animated GIFs in Photoshop
- Create four 5–10 second animations exploring design and motion principles in After Effects
- Create a one minute title sequence for your favorite TV show, movie, or video game
- Materials: Sketchbook and basic drawing tools
- Equipment: Scanner, DSLR Camera capable of recording 1080p HD video, tripod
- Software: Adobe Creative Cloud; After Effects, Premiere and Photoshop
- A verified Specialist Certificate that prove you completed the Program and mastered the subject.*
- A verified course Certificate for each individual course you complete in the program.*
- 3.0 transferable academic college credit(s) (additional fees apply)
* Each certificate earned is endorsed by Kadenze and the offering institution(s).
Price: $600 USD
Add college credit at checkout or later for just $900
Why join a Program?
Becoming a specialist in a subject requires a highly tuned learning experience connecting multiple related courses. Programs unlock exclusive content that helps you develop a deep understanding of your subject. From your first course to your final summative assessment, our thoughtfully curated curriculum enables you to demonstrate your newly acquired skills.