Creating for Mixed Reality
Thomas Wester works as an independent creative and technical director and is Faculty and Research fellow at the Make+Think+Code @ PNCA. Over the last 15 years he has blended digital and physical to create meaningful interactive experiences. His ever curious, ever inquisitive nature results in a wide and deep knowledge of both the creative and technical process with regards to producing for the interactive medium. He has worked with the Royal Shakespeare Company, The National Archives, Library of Congress, Hermès, Coca Cola, Target, MoMA and MFA Boston and exhibited at Tribeca and Sundance. Over a period of 12 years he built the technology practice at Second Story, establishing an interdisciplinary, experimental approach that uses technology as strategy for design innovation, resulting in a studio that is widely recognized as a leader and innovator in interactive design and storytelling.
Creating for Mixed Reality explores the current landscape of augmented, mixed and virtual reality (commonly referred to as AR, MR, and VR) and how to create for these environments. Through hands-on projects you will learn and build experiences in the Unity game engine, with the understanding that the tools and practices we are exploring are evolving quickly. Our research will involve critical reflection on film and writings - examining connections between the aesthetic and cultural concerns of the mixed reality spectrum to more established media. Together we’ll map out the different experience paradigms and AR/MR/VR hardware interfaces, guided by interviews with an inspiring mix of creative practitioners and industry professionals.
Developments in the fields of augmented, virtual, and mixed reality are moving faster than ever. Whereas other programs online might emphasize acquiring specific tools or platforms that will quickly be outdated, this program focuses primarily on providing a strong conceptual and theoretical foundation, on which artistic experimentation and exploration can be made over the entirety of your career.
The overarching goal of this program is to make these fields accessible to a wide audience. The material is designed to challenge your thinking and perception, and aims to provide you with the confidence, inspiration, and skills to navigate the methods and technology involved in creating for mixed reality - both today, and tomorrow.
- Understanding the difference between augmented, mixed, and virtual reality
- Understanding the array and applications of disciplines, tools, and pipelines involved in creating for mixed reality
- Connecting artistic practice, aesthetics, theory, and cultural context to creating for mixed reality
- Session 1: Introduction to Mixed Reality
- Session 2: Hacking Reality: Rendering Space + Unity Basics
- Session 3: Perspectives from Philosophy and Psychology
- Session 4: Inspiration: Deconstructing Today's Experiences
- Session 1: Exploring Foundational Tools
- Session 2: Approaches to Workflow
- Session 3: Perspectives from Architecture and Social Philosophy
- Session 4: Inspirations for Worldbuilding
- Session 1: Intro + Creating Interactive Narratives
- Session 2: Mixed Reality as Participatory Art
- Session 3: Hololens Heroes: Deconstructing a Mixed Reality Experience
- Session 4: Where Does This Go Next?
- Conceptualize and present a VR or AR experience adapted from a selected literary work
- Scan a physical world object and bring it into virtual reality
- Create an interactive virtual reality experience
- Equipment (optional): Windows 10 PC (2015 or later), Oculus Rift CV1
- Software: Unity (free version)
- A verified Specialist Certificate that prove you completed the Program and mastered the subject.*
- A verified course Certificate for each individual course you complete in the program.*
- 3.0 transferable academic college credit(s) (additional fees apply)
* Each certificate earned is endorsed by Kadenze and the offering institution(s).
Price: $300 USD *
Add college credit at checkout or later for just $900
Why join a Program?
Becoming a specialist in a subject requires a highly tuned learning experience connecting multiple related courses. Programs unlock exclusive content that helps you develop a deep understanding of your subject. From your first course to your final summative assessment, our thoughtfully curated curriculum enables you to demonstrate your newly acquired skills.