Session 2: Curating the Learning Experience
Designing gallery learning experiences and engaging audiences
SESSION 2 FORUM DISCUSSION PROMPTS
2.3 Design and Performance of a Gallery Learning Experience:
1) Give some examples of themes you’d be interested in exploring through a GLEx.
2.5 Examining One Artwork at the Whitney Museum with Heather Maxson:
2) As you watch Heather’s gallery teaching, think about and discuss a select number of questions below. You do not have to answer all—only the ones that you are keen on thinking about.
- How does Heather explore some of the elements of the work?
- How does the phases of the exploration resemble or differ from how I described them?
- How does the teen audience’s responses generate, lead and sustain the exploration of the work?
- How does she introduce the theme? And for how long?
- When (at what point in the video) and for how long does she do the “observation”?
- When (at what point in the video) and for how long does she do the “description”?
- How and/or how long does she integrate “interpretation” and “connection”?
- When (at what point in the video) does she give the name of the artist?
- When (at what point in the video) does she give the title?
- What else does she make students do?
- What are some things she did that we didn’t cover in the lecture?
- What are some facilitation strategies that were particularly useful?
- What was one of the most surprising aspects of this GLEx for you?