Beginning Class Piano
Described as “impressive and expressive” (Fanfare Magazine) and “superb...[with] great dexterity, rhythm, and touch” (American Record Guide), Hannah Creviston is Assistant Professor of Practice at Arizona State University, where she oversees the Piano Pedagogy program, coordinates Class Piano and is Director of the Music Prep Program. She is active as a researcher and presenter on the effects of music on children with autism.
Prior to joining the ASU faculty in the fall of 2012, Creviston was on the faculty at the Crane School of Music, SUNY Potsdam. An avid performer of contemporary music, Creviston has premiered many compositions, both solo and collaborative. As an accompanist, she has performed in festivals and competitions around the world, and she performs regularly in a duo with her husband, saxophonist Christopher Creviston. Together, they have recorded Snell Sessions and Columbia Sessions, both on the Albany Records label, and Sunday Afternoon and Breaking available through CD Baby. Their recordings have been described as “engrossing” (Fanfare Magazine), “highly imaginative and expressive” (composer Denis Bédard), “a good blend of the standard and the new” (American Record Guide), and “sensitive, transparent, powerful music making that causes one to hold their breath often” (Donald Sinta).
This program introduces beginning students to the fundamentals of piano playing, including technique, solo repertoire, transposition, harmonization, sight-reading, improvisation and music theory. The program features video lectures presented by the Instructor, audio clips and practice assignments for piano technique and repertoire, session quizzes for music terms and theory and session assessments in which students must digitally record and upload their performed piano assignments.
Students will practice and perform their assignments using Adult Piano Adventures: All-in-one Lesson Book 1, (2016, Faber, Nancy and Randall) and use the online discussion board for introductions and general discussion. Students are also required to review three recordings and attend or stream three classical concerts and complete a report for each. A final exam must be completed at the end of each course.
- Learn and perform beginning level repertoire, demonstrating understanding of proper hand position and fingering, articulations, dynamics, phrasing and pedaling.
- Perform piano technique exercises, including major and minor 5-finger patterns, selected major scales, hand-over-hand major and minor arpeggios and I-IV-I-V7-I chord progression in selected major keys.
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic music theory and music-reading skills through sight-reading, transposition, improvisation and harmonization.
- Session 1: Introduction To Playing
- Session 2: Orientation To The Staff
- Session 3: Reading Reinforcement
- Session 4: More About Staff Reading
- Session 5: More Bass Clef Note Reading
- Session 1: Eighth (8th) Notes
- Session 2: Treble Space Notes: F-A-C-E
- Session 3: Treble C Pentascale
- Session 4: G Pentascales
- Session 5: Sharps And Flats
- Session 6: Intervals: 4ths, 5ths, 6ths
- Session 1: The C Major Scale
- Session 2: The G7 Chord
- Session 3: Primary Chords In C Major
- Session 4: The G Major Scale
- Session 5: Primary Chords In G Major
- Report on live concerts
- Perform a memorized piece
- Improvise in a duet
- Adult Piano Adventures: All-in-one Lesson Book 1 (2016), Faber, Nancy and Randall. ISBN: 978-1-61677-302-1
- Acoustic Piano or 88-Key Electric Piano (Weighted Key recommended)
- Video Recorder
- Internet connection (DSL, LAN, or cable connection desirable)
- A verified Specialist Certificate that prove you completed the Program and mastered the subject.*
- A verified course Certificate for each individual course you complete in the program.*
* Each certificate earned is endorsed by Kadenze and the offering institution(s).
ON SALE! That's
off the original price!
ON SALE! That's $320 off the original price!
Why join a Program?
Becoming a specialist in a subject requires a highly tuned learning experience connecting multiple related courses. Programs unlock exclusive content that helps you develop a deep understanding of your subject. From your first course to your final summative assessment, our thoughtfully curated curriculum enables you to demonstrate your newly acquired skills.